I never thought this would happen, but here it is. I am a blogger. This being my first post, I've probably typed, deleted, and retyped the beginning at least half a dozen times! My brother and I are preparing to go on an month-long road trip through the western United States and we decided that we would each blog about our experiences. Clearly, I'm not great at this yet. I hope it improves at the month goes on! We are also going to have a joint blog that we update with the "everything is puppy dogs and rainbows and we love each other SOOOO MUCH" aspect of the trip (huzzah for sibling cooperation...we shall see how long that lasts). I will post that link here once I create it. And to make it even better, neither the brother or I will be reading each other's personal blog until after we get back.
Background: My brother turned 18 last fall and he is now officially a high school graduate. When he was a sophomore, I came up with the idea to take a month off of work and go on a road trip as the last big thing before he starts college. You know, a sibling bonding experience. Fast forward through two years, a lot of planning, a lot of saving, and some graciousness from my boss for actually letting me take a month off and here we are. T-minus 10 days to lift-off and counting...
So, here it is...my perspective on the trip! To say I'm stressed out is an understatement. Dad had to step in last night to help with part of the planning because I pretty much freaked out on him. I have such a new and deep appreciation for all of the family vacations we went on when I was a kid. Granted, we never went on a trip like this, but still. As of now, I still have no idea where were staying on many of the stops. But, we do have a rental car (thank you Dad!) and most of the plans on the trip out to our Grandma's complete. There's a bit in the middle of that that is...pretty fluid at the moment. I know how the tent works and I do believe that it is big enough that we have our own personal space (and it WILL be needed, I'm sure). 11 days out to Washington State, 9-10 days (not sure yet...I really should figure that out) with our Grandma, then 7 days to get back home. My estimation is that I will be driving at least 7,000 miles in 28 days.
In all honesty, I really am super excited! I'll be seeing so much of God's Creation that I've always dreamt of seeing! Dad says that we are trying to fit 20 years of vacations into one, which is quite accurate. As stressed out as I am, I can't wait to get on the road next Saturday. It's going to be...well...an adventure!
I think you both will love seeing the country via a car. Though with you being the only driver, you will likely quickly become bored/sick of driving.
ReplyDeleteSince I am a younger brother I can say this. I expect you both will quickly come to love and loathe the time together in the car.
A piece of advice....remember to not set up the tent in a gully, especially with any chance of storms :-)