Yesterday was honestly not that great with an exception here or there. I spent the majority of my day driving through the entire state of Kansas (all 600 or so miles of it). Brutal...simply brutal. Chris drew first blood of the trip when he scraped my shoulder with the Twizzlers plastic container. I made it well known that it hurt (perhaps I was being a bit overdramatic?? ;-) ) and he sarcastically asked me if I needed a band-aid. The sibling bonding really ramped up when Chris pulled out the Would You Rather? book and started asking me questions. Mercifully, he censored some of them and flat out didn't ask certain ones. I had forgotten that it was me that bought it for him...that was kind of a dumb move on my part! It did kill 45 minutes or so, which I was definitely grateful for. Driving through Kansas can be summarized as this: one dead straight line set in the middle of a sometimes green, often brown piece of paper. Oh, and don't forget the wind. I spent 6 hours fighting the car when it wanted to go careening off the road from the crosswinds. Semi trucks made that experience even that much better!! I saw three tumbleweeds cross the road and started wishing for more civilization to show up, but to no avail. When we finally got to Colorado, there was dancing and celebrating. Trees became a joyful sight to behold and the hills that began to appear was amazing. To be honest, we will never stop talking about how disheartening it was to drive the length of that state in one day.
The night was spent with an old friend of mine from high school. I had a great time catching up and reminiscing about the crazy stuff she did and how oblivious I was to just about everything! I'm sure Chris learned a lot about me and what I was like when we were "his age" (Somehow the phrase ..."at our age" or "when you get to be this age" kept being said...apparently 26 is REALLY old, but I beg to differ!).
I did have to pull rank with Chris once yesterday, which I genuinely felt bad for. I hold myself partially responsible for having to do so in the first place, which means I won't let it happen again on my end. Decades later and I'm still working on this whole "Big Sister" deal. Sibling bonding took a small hit for that one, I'm sure, but today seemed to be just fine.
The Rocky Mountains are absolutely unreal. It's been the best drive of the trip so far, and it made up for the drive through Kansas. There was definitely one moment where I was moved to tears from the sheer beauty of what I was seeing. We deviated from the GPS based on my friend's suggestion and we definitely didn't regret it! We stopped at two pull-offs in order to take pictures, which probably put us back by an hour but we didn't care at all.
I will say that there is one advantage to driving the entire time: I get to see everything we drive by. Chris will read books or play on his iPhone (which I don't necessarily blame him for...I'd probably do the same thing), but there are times that I feel he's missing the breathtaking scenery and general splendor. No matter, though, because we took so many pictures that it's hard to not remember this trip! I've honestly had such a fantastic time being able to spend this time with Chris and I'm just so incredibly grateful for the opportunity to do something like this...just me and him. I can't wait to see what happens next!
| Chris took this picture of me up in the mountains. There's another one I like even more, but you don't see how high up we are or the scenery that was just breathtaking. |
![]() |
| I took this picture of Chris in the same place. It really was a great place to spend half an hour! |

No comments:
Post a Comment