I'm sitting on a picnic table in Sioux Falls, SD. This is our last night camping and the second-to-last night if this crazy trip!! I was going to write something last night, but by the time we got to the campground, tent set up, and food made, I was so exhausted I was in a really bad mood. I simply needed sleep. I was going to update the group blog with all the videos we made, but alas...the wifi here is (shall we say) less than ideal. For all I know, my laptop may be mad or something. Who knows? Hurray for the internet on my phone with the blog app!!
Anyway, we've had some pretty crazy days this week. I (ok, we) really didn't want to leave Boise. At all. Ben and Laura were so welcoming and their house was so awesome that we very nearly skipped Yellowstone. After the fun we had there, we were REALLY wishing we wouldn't have left Idaho! A bison made me not be able to back country camp. When you see the videos, you will catch the theme that I rather dislike the big brown balls of fur known as the American Bison. Bah!
We then headed to Mount Rushmore from Yellowstone. This is an eight hour drive and we were very close to not making it to Mount Rushmore in order to see it on the 4th of July! We had to hang out on the side of the road to get pictures because the parking lot was full. To be honest, I didn't even know where the mountain was from the road because they held the lighting ceremony late...and I drove by it twice. I'm awesome, what can I say?? :)
Today, we went to Crazy Horse Mountain and then actually went into the Mount Rushmore park. Crazy Horse is always spectacular to see. It has changed significantly from the last time I was there many moons ago. It's just quite hard to tell! It's also disheartening to know that I will never see it's completion. Since it's privately funded, work on it is slow.
Mount Rushmore was just as fun as the last time, too. Perhaps more so, since I now know I'm related (albeit indirectly) to one of them! I am related to George Washington through his sister. Weird, right? It makes Independence Day as well as other things a bit more significant! It was strange looking at the giant head of Washington on a mountain and realizing he's part of (very) extended family!
For those that are wondering, yes we did stop at Wall Drug (the free ice water store) on the way to Sioux Falls. Oh was it interesting!! Chris learned that a jackelope is a real animal there. Silly brother! It was definitely a fun stop...and you certantly can't miss it! I couldn't begin to tell you how many signs there were for it! At that point, you just had to see what all the fuss was about!
Well, we are cooking dinner as we speak, then it will be time for bed. Tomorrow we will be in Davenport, Iowa in a hotel. The internet should be more upload-friendly there. A girl can dream, right???
No comments:
Post a Comment