Saturday, July 7, 2012

"Not all who wander are lost"

It's the last night of the trip. I'm pretty sad about that, honestly. There have been times of difficulty and times of pure fun. I will never forget Chris' reaction to seeing the stars (and especially the shooting star!)  at the Grand Canyon or his dancing in the car. I realized that there is still so much more to see in this country, let alone the world. I stood amazed at the natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains, Zion National Park, and the Craters of the Moon...just to name a few. I continue to be awed at the big differences and the personalities in each city we visited. I sit here unbelievably grateful for the ability, regarding both time and money, to be able to sojourn like this.

I think I can declare that the bonding goal with my brother was reached. I know we will always be closer because of this trip, no matter what happens in the future. We never talked about any heavy topics or really debated on anything. There was one time that we ventured into a political discussion, but the views of someone who's been out of college for four years and someone who hasn't experienced that side of life yet along with different sets of ethics and beliefs will always end with a stalemate. Not a big deal. I hope that I can say we have a better understanding of one another in general and that we can continue to bond as the years go on. I don't think this will be the only trip we go on together! There's already been talk of going back to Yellowstone and actually camping, talk of camping in Washington state, and so on. I'm excited to see what happens and so incredibly content with how this trip has turned out.

I've learned a lot about myself as well. I realize I rely too much on my own strength to get me through difficult situations. This comes off as high-strung and I also tend to snap at people (my brother mainly the past month) much quicker. I've learned that no matter what plans I make, they can and will go astray...and that's ok! I need to learn to let things go. I've also learned that I need to work on putting into practice what I say I believe. I can only think of one time that I really prayed the entire month...it was the night where I ended up driving 14 hours and was certain I wouldn't be able to stay awake for the last few hours without help. God helped immediately. We made it to Oregon without issues and without me feeling overly tired until we got there. I look back and question why I didn't try to connect more than just that one time. I did have my guitar, which I played several times at Grandma's, but I still missed the fellowship. I need to spend more time on what I know is important.

I have so many ideas for future trips now...places we went to, places we couldn't. I need to write them down so I don't forget! I've also come to see that this is only part of a larger journey that I didn't really realize I was on. I think a fitting end to this part of it can be summed up like this:


“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say” 
 - J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship of the Ring"


So, continue on I shall. I have no idea where the next steps will lead me, but my feet are eager and I will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment